State and county emergency management officials are asking residents of Hammond and other Lake County communities who suffered sewage backups during recent rainstorms to report the damage using Indiana’s 211 service.

Reports can be filed simply by calling 211 and speaking with a helpline specialist or by vising the Indiana 211 website at and clicking on the “Damage Reporting” link in the upper right corner of the page.

Only Lake County residents are eligible to report damage through 211. The Lake County Emergency Management Agency and Indiana Department of Homeland Security are hoping to hear from the several hundred homeowners who reportedly experienced sewage issues.

People are also reading…

According to IDHS, the assessments will help the state agency estimate damage and guide any next steps to help residents recover from the flooding in their homes.